Paper Suite » Crafting Lifestyle Blog by Ashley Cannon Newell

Masthead header

Embellish :: Crochet Trim Color Trends Challenge

WOW! It’s Friday already? Well, I’m not going to argue that fact. The extra fun part is that it’s a new Embellish challenge. For this challenge, we want to see how you use crochet trim with some spring time colors.

I created a canvas mini album of my Summer CHA 2010 photos. Just click on the thumbnails to view all of the images. There were way too many to embed directly into the post. However, if you’re viewing this in your Reader or E-Mail, all images will load, so come on over to my¬† blog to see how the gallery looks!

The album is by Maya Road. I misted it with Tattered Angels glimmer mist. Next, I added May Arts crochet trim to the right ends of all pages. Last, I embellished each page with photos, more trim and ribbon, buttons, stamps, and some other stuff. I plan to add some journaling strips to some of the pages, but ran out of time. You all get the point! I can’t I believe I even got as much done as I did – sorta proud of that fact.

Edited to Add: The white polka dots are stamped in white acrylic paint using DeNami Design’s polka dot background rubber stamp. Stamping with acrylic paint can be tricky because it can be blotchy leaving a big glob (too much paint) or an uneven image (not enough paint). So, I squeezed a very generous amount of paint on an acrylic block and stamped my stamp right into that ink making sure it was completely covered. One area got too much paint and on the cover (funny actually it ended up being the cover) I got a BIG WHITE GLOB! AAAAAACK I could’ve screamed. So, at that point I told myself either your in it or not – stamp or stop! I kept going and realized I just had too much paint the first time. So, on the cover I positioned the layout to hide the glob mistake! VOILA!

Some extra points – The “CHA” chipboard letters are by Basic Grey and are from my stash last year. The banner is a die from Lifestyle Crafts. The buttons are all from Papertrey Ink. The striped twill tape (blue and yellow) are by May Arts and can be purchased at retailers, such as iheartpapers here and here. I also used May Art’s turquoise linen-like wide ribbon. I folded in half and pleated it, then stitched it down on the page!

I keep adding more stuff to this post because I wrote it in a jiffy this morning before jetting off to work. Elizabeth Kartchner was my inspiration for this album. She has this colorful glow about her that makes me smile, feel happy, and want to enjoy life to the fullest. She just started an online workshop site called Something Splendid and I’m so happy to be able to participate in a couple classes. So, that’s how I chose Liz as the cover picture of my album. Every time I meet her she is so sweet and inviting and you just have to cherish people like her.

TIP: If you don’t have a lot of time to wait for acrylic paint to dry, use Tattered Angel’s Glimmer Mists. They offer the color, plus a quick drying time. Although they do not have the same result as paint, they are close enough!

ADHESIVE TIP: When working with canvas/fabric albums, your adhesive must be strong enough to adhere everything securely. I used and recommend Helmar’s liquid adhesive. For this project, I used Premium Craft Glue; however, their 450 Quick Dry liquid adhesive is also amazing. I adhered all of the ribbon, trims, buttons, cardstock, and photos using the Premium Craft Glue.

So last night, I cooked and the meal was so fast, that I could get going on this mini album and just about finish it! Here’s what I made:

Just click the image for the recipe. It was very quick and easy to make. I had just about all of the ingredients in my kitchen, except the fish and fresh cilantro, so that’s always a great thing. If you like yours a bit spicy, add more cayenne pepper when you season the fish – that part was great!

Well, now that I got you hungry, make that dish, then check out what the other designers created. Here’s the challenge so you can participate too!

Have a great weekend!

Made something? Just link it here!

• DeniseApril 15, 2011 - 8:12 am

Beautiful little album. So sweet and very easy to look at. Have a great Friday.ReplyCancel

• Ellie A.April 15, 2011 - 8:47 am

GIRL JUST WOW!! I am in LOVE w/that album.. of course you know that is some serious enabling right? I want to make a fabric album now Ha… SUPER SWEET! Rock on girl. Happy Friday to you! ((HUGS))ReplyCancel

• KateApril 15, 2011 - 9:16 am

Woo-hoo! The IHP gang made it into your little book! So excited! You even used ribbon on that page that I sell! What a coinkidink! {hugs}ReplyCancel

• Rose AnnApril 15, 2011 - 10:42 am

Your album is FANTASTIC, Ashley!! So perfect for those wonderful memories!! Salivating at your yummy fish dinner too! Mmmmm!!ReplyCancel

• Sarah JayApril 15, 2011 - 10:54 am

Love the colors, the canvas album, and the other textural details you added. I especially love that striped twill tape. I’ll have to dig that out of my ribbon drawer.ReplyCancel

• jamiaApril 15, 2011 - 11:11 am

OH MY word this is FABULOUS, I like everything about it. I feel so inspired, now if would just move on this inspiration and make something!ReplyCancel

• FiorellaApril 15, 2011 - 11:32 am

What a wonderful mini!!!! I love the colors you used. I’ve never tryed a fabric album because I don’t know what kind of glue works better on fabric.ReplyCancel

• Danielle FlandersApril 15, 2011 - 12:00 pm

How gorgeous! Thank you so much for your sweet comments, I’ve been an admirer of yours! You do SUCH beautiful work!!
    xo
    DanielleReplyCancel

• GabbyApril 15, 2011 - 12:41 pm

This book is so very pretty! Love the colors, trims and all those delightful buttons! Very nice memento. :)ReplyCancel

• Melissa SheaApril 15, 2011 - 1:57 pm

So pretty! I love the colors!ReplyCancel

• Diane JaquayApril 15, 2011 - 3:14 pm

Your album ROCKS! Love all the trims/buttons/embellies you’ve added to this beauty!ReplyCancel

• Kiara LeeApril 15, 2011 - 3:47 pm

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, LOVE your mini album!!ReplyCancel

• www.hokiecoyote.comApril 15, 2011 - 9:23 pm

Love those designer blue buttons!ReplyCancel

• Tina@FlyingHouseApril 15, 2011 - 11:36 pm

Ashley, you totally blew me away with this one. Your entire album is INCREDIBLE!! (And that meal looks yummy!!) Have a great weekend!ReplyCancel

• SavitriApril 16, 2011 - 3:47 am

This is tooo tooooooo awesome! Love this! I haven’t done a mini in ages! Makes me want to do one now! Love the dish too. Makes me hungry (it’s breakfast but I can do lunch/dinner now!) The colors look yummo too!! I will have to make time for this!ReplyCancel

• Bernie ThomasApril 17, 2011 - 1:15 am

Wow that is a gorgeous album. Love the colors and the lace.
    Blessings BernieReplyCancel

• KareyApril 19, 2011 - 10:38 am

Spectacular album! The way you decorated the canvas is lovely. You really did’t add much to it, but it looks like more because of the dots. (For me more is more!) I’d be so happy to have something like this. Enjoy it.ReplyCancel

• Jessica RosarioApril 20, 2011 - 8:58 am

Hi Ashley!!! It’s been so long since I’ve been here. Your blog looks amazing (love the colors) and your creations are more stunning than ever. I absolutely love the canvas mini album. The embellishments you used, the textures and the photos makes this in my opinion a total winner. TFS :)ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *